Blessed is he who has never had to wake up dreading the next 11 hours ’til he’s back in bed again. It probably won’t be much of an inaccuracy to say that at least once in every person’s life, the words “I don’t want to go to work today” have been begrudgingly uttered, often paired with a heavy smacking of the snooze button. While some days are merely a typical case of the blues, some days are much worse. In some cases, they mean occupational burnout, a term coined by psychologist Herbert Freudenberger to describe that dead end feeling of not being motivated to go to work, of being exhausted even before you’ve arrived at your cubicle, and/or not going forward in life with your job. Contradictory to what most people think, burnout is a serious matter. In fact, studies have revealed that employees who experience burnout share the exact same symptoms as patients diagnosed with clinical depression. Simply put, burnout is bad for your physical and psychological health.
Some employees deal with burnout by taking a sabbatical from work. In worse cases, stress management programs are in order; in much, much worse cases, the only way to treat burnout is to quit. Quitting a job is not an easy decision to make, with the reality of bills and survival, but remember that no paycheck is worth losing your sanity over. If these pictures are way too real for you, you need to quit your job NOW.
1. There is no coffee strong enough to get you through the day.
2. You hate the daily morning traffic, but at the same time kinda enjoy that you’re still not at work yet.
3. This is your idea of a perfect present for your coworkers on their birthdays.
4. Being at work rouses violent tendencies that you never before knew you had.
5. You keep “forgetting” to remove the “Out to Lunch” sign on your door.
6. You don’t even bother coming up with excuses when you call in sick for the day.
7. What people think is a funny wall decor is actually your go-to stress reliever.
8. Your favorite time of the year is anytime there is a long weekend.
9. You feel like nothing you do at work gets appreciated by anyone.
10. You get tired just thinking of going to work – even if you just woke up.
11. Getting yelled at by your boss no longer gets you all riled up.
12. You’re convinced hell is filled with bosses, desktop computers, and perpetually-ringing phones.
13. You always tell yourself “today” is the day you’re quitting for real.
14. You drive your friends crazy talking about how you hate your job, your boss, and your coworkers.
15. You volunteer to do coffee runs as often as you can – and you don’t mind at all when the barista messes up the orders.
16. You force yourself to have an office crush just so you can get excited about going to work.
17. You find yourself dreaming about going to sleep while at work only to get nightmares about work when you’re asleep.
18. One of your hobbies is searching Tumblr and Pinterest for beach pictures to use as your PC wallpaper, which you change every other day.
19. You think people are always being sarcastic when they greet you “have a nice day” at work.
20. You’re convinced your job has sucked the soul out of you.
21. You’re convinced whoever said “You were not born to just go to work, pay bills, and die” was speaking directly to you.